One person who is often considered the point of contact or liaison between businesses and their potential client is a Business Development Manager. All of the business development manager roles and responsibilities are directed towards maximizing the profit and revenue generation for the company.
The business development manager job description helps the company find the right individual with the requisite skills, talent, and qualifications.
To help an organization grow, a business development manager works on strategic planning, sales management, and looking for new clients. As a sales team member, the business development manager helps find leads, makes proposals to new clients, and builds relationships with customers and coworkers. Business development is a key part of an organization’s growth.
Let us learn more about this significant role in any enterprise.
What is a Business Development Manager Job Role?
The Business Development Manager job description entails many responsibilities to explore growth opportunities for both the individual and the company.
As a Business Development Manager, one will be identifying new business opportunities. The goal is to:
- Improve profitability
- Generate revenue
- Help the growth of the business
The business development manager role includes enhancing a company’s operations, reputation, or position. Business development managers are integral to an organization’s success. They help to find new sales leads, negotiate prices with clients, and predict sales revenue.
Business development managers must look at current sales figures and strategize how an organization can grow and expand. So, this is a great job for people who are self-motivated, goal-oriented, and driven by commissions.
Business Development Manager Roles and Responsibilities
The exact extent of the duties of a business development officer may vary according to the organization and the sector. But it is essential to be open to challenges and push boundaries to be successful in this career.
If you are wondering what are the Business Development Manager roles and responsibilities, here is a list:
- Find out the appropriate contact in a business.
- Meet with clients in person or over the phone.
- Develop and foster relationships with clients.
- Cold call potential customers and generate leads.
- Research new business scope and opportunities. This can include growth areas, new markets, and partnerships.
- Analyze the latest trends, products and services, and ways to penetrate existing markets.
- Be aware of trends and alterations in the business world.
- Understand customer needs and respond efficiently.
- Think strategically with the bigger picture and goals in mind.
- Prepare reports and present them to stakeholders and management.
- Network with peers and industry leaders by attending industry-related conferences, seminars, and events.
- Look for ways to improve and enhance profitability.
- Understand the brand’s products and services well.
- Train team members like the assistant business development manager and management trainees working under you.
- Discuss promotional activities and plan with the marketing department.
- Draw up contracts and agreements, and work with the legal team.
- Be proficient in using different tools like CRM software, email marketing tools, and others.
- Work with the content team to create interactive and persuasive proposals and emails.
- Liaise with the finance, logistics, and warehousing departments.
Skills for Becoming a Business Development Manager
When hiring a business development manager, most companies look for certain skills which are prerequisites for this role.
Some of the essential skills needed for getting a business development manager job role are:
- Communication skills: This is a key skill for this role, as, without the right persuasive skill, a BDM will not be able to close deals or maintain open communication between clients and internal teams. A business development manager has to interact with various people from across the world and appear professional and pleasing to potential and existing clients.
- Time-management skills: Sometimes, business development managers need to work across different time zones to pursue global clients.
- Organizational skills: People that want to be successful in this career must be able to manage many clients, on- and off-site meetings, and deadlines. People that are well-organized are most suited to manage the various aspects of the job and keep client proposals and other duties on track.
- Technical skills: Business development managers must be proficient in using content management systems (CMS) and video calling software like Zoom, Teams, and others, as well as maintain an online calendar and have a basic understanding of MS Excel and Powerpoint presentations. Business development managers must also use project management systems and have good research skills.
- Driven and self-motivated: The most successful business development managers are goal-oriented. They also need to be self-motivated, patient and have a positive outlook. BDMs often have to face rejection and work under stringent deadlines to meet targets; thus, they should be able to perform under pressure.
How to Become a Business Development Manager?
There is no exact path to becoming a successful assistant business development manager. A standard qualification guideline is mentioned below.
- Get a bachelor’s degree in business development, business management, economics, accountancy, or any other related field.
- A master’s degree is not mandatory, but having an MBA can often help one advance in this profession and get a better salary.
- Get certifications in sales, marketing, or business development.
- Develop technical skills by learning about project management software, Microsoft working tools, Google working tools, email marketing software, CMS, and others.
- Apply for an internship and gain any other B2B sales or marketing experience.
- Apply for relevant jobs matching the business development manager job description.
- Continuously update the resume with the latest experience.
The salary can be determined depending on the years of expertise, qualification, and business development roles and responsibilities.
The business development manager salary in UAE is an average of AED 12,000; in the Kingdom of Bahrain, one can expect to receive 5400 BHD, while in the Sultanate of Oman, it can be around 3000 OMR, and in Iraq, it can be about 2,709,958 IQD per month.
Find Business Development Manager with 6 Pence
A Business Development Manager roles and responsibilities are integral to a company’s success and bottom line. Thus, it is essential to hire the right person. 6 Pence can help your business find the right professional. We are an HR and staff outsourcing solution provider based in Oman, Iraq, Dubai, and Bahrain. We have skilled, seasoned, and knowledgeable team of recruiters who work to match companies with the right prospective employee. Contact us to learn more!
Those interested in working as a Business Development Manager can drop their resumes on our website.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the basic qualities of a BDM?
A Business Development Manager must have great communication, strategizing and interpersonal skills. They should have a basic understanding of IT skills and CRM platforms.
What are the strengths of a business development executive?
A business development executive must be able to prioritize workload and multitask. They should also have leadership qualities and be able to work both clients, stakeholders, and internal teams.
What are the basic qualities of a business development officer?
Business Development Manager roles and responsibilities include the ability to strategize. You should be able to analyze sales figures and make reports. Your approach to work must be flexible.